Wednesday, May 23, 2012

What's Cookin' At The Sweatshop?


Hi, all!


Time for another update on what we've been doing in The Sweatshop recently!  I ran out of time to do a post last week - it's been crazy around here - but I'm making time to do one this week so we don't get too far behind.  


Several of us spent time at The Sweatshop's new location (church!) today putting the final touches on the new room.  I got the new quilt frame set up and ready to load up with a quilt top, we worked out the electricity to all of the worktables so that there aren't cords running across the aisles, and we hung the mirror and the clock!  It's looking good in there....


And here are the quilts we've finished and sent out this week...




This pretty quilt was made from fabrics donated by the Music City Modern Quilt Guild, pieced by Debora, and quilted by Cindy...




... as Jolene's (my new long arm) first quilt of many!!  This quilt went to Cindy's father, who had major surgery earlier this week.  He called today to let us know that he was resting very comfortably under his new quilt!






This neat and adventurous quilt was pieced by Sharon and quilted by me (on Jolene!).  I love the African Safari fabric on the front, and we just got a bolt of gorgeous flannel that matched it perfectly for the back!  This quilt is going to a 12-year old boy in Nebraska who has had a return of his leukemia following a remission.  


Front....


...and back!

This bright, cheerful quilt was pieced by Lynn and went to a 7-year old girl who was diagnosed with Rocky Mount Spotted Fever after several days of being sick and then being hospitalized.  I'm very happy to say she is now home recuperating!!




And this beautiful batik postage stamp quilt, my second because I loved the way the first turned out so much, is now living with a gentleman who is dealing with cancer.  He's going through radiation and chemo and I hope this quilt helps him through a difficult time!


So that's what we've been working on this week!  We've still got a bunch of quilts to catch up on, so be prepared for more quilts next week....  Thanks again to all of you who help make this ministry possible!!


Hugs!


Sarah

4 comments:

  1. All just great quilts - I forgot all about the African one! I hope it gives courage (like the lion) to the young lad in a difficult time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to see Jolene earning her keep:) Nice batch of quilts again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the postage stamp quilt! And Yea!!! for Jolene!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the postage stamp quilt too - what size are the blocks?

    Jolene is doing beautiful work - thanks to the skillful hands of her operators!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile!! If you want a PDF of a pattern, PLEASE leave your email address in your comment, or email me directly at salliesue57 (at) gmail (dot) com!